Oscar-Claude Monet was born on November 14, 1840 in Paris. He spent his childhood in the Normandy coastal town of Le Havre, where his father prospered as a grocer and ship chandler. In 1860 Monet met the landscape artist Eugène Boudin, who introduced him to plein-air painting, and he began to produce increasingly ambitious and naturalistic work.
In 1859, Monet moved to Paris, where he attended the Académie Suisse beginning in 1860. He returned to Le Havre in 1862, and worked in the plein-air mode alongside Eugene Boudin and Dutch painter Johan Barthold Jongkind. In 1862 he returned to Paris to enroll in the studio of Charles Gleyre, where his fellow students included Frédéric Bazille and Alfred Sisley. Despite some success, financial difficulties forced Monet to return to his family in Le Havre.
In 1878, with financial troubles looming and his wife gravely ill, the Monets embarked on an unorthodox joint household arrangement in Vétheuil. By 1890 Monet was financially secure enough to purchase a house at Giverny, later adding adjacent land and installing both a water-lily garden and Japanese bridge, which he would later paint in.
Waterloo Bridge, Soleil Voil
Rare original sanguine etching by Claude Monet
Size: 11" x 8"
Framed: 20.5 " x 18",
signed lower left in pencil,
Presentation piece to Charles Waltner (French 1846-1925) who prepared the copper plate and pulled the edition under Monet’s supervision. This print is based on the 1903 oil painting by Monet now in the Art Institute of Chicago. Monet's rare London series have always been popular among collectors. This is the only etching from it.
(Waltner) would save the best impression for himself and have Monet sign it; There is significant dry point detail in the figures on the bridge and in the ship in the foreground not found in the black and white water trade edition. The whites have been carefully wiped and are pronounced without them becoming muddied in later impressions as ink is reapplied over and over leaving a permanent film.
This piece was commissioned by the Art Journal “Gazette des Beaux-Arts" in 1904.